For this week’s After Before Friday Forum, I wanted to do an abstract. I was looking through some iPhone photos that I took with my macro app. I was excited about the photo…until I looked at it on the screen. The focus was not there. I was about to throw it out, but then I said, let me see what craziness I can make of it.
So after playing around with it some, this is what I came up with. What do you think?
For those of you who like to hear about the steps, here is what I did in Photoshop CS5:
- Created a copy of the original no-focus photo.
- Added a radial blur filter on it: 48 zoom.
- Added the glowing edge filter to it: width 8, brightness 17, and smoothness 4.
This was too neon for me and similar to some abstracts in the past, so I wanted to play more.
- Took my original copy of the photo in the background, and added the first to steps in the bullets above.
- Added the half-tone ? filter (pattern?palette? I am not sure what the last word of the filter title is as I can’t read my scribbled notes and now I am not at my laptop with Photoshop on it, lol.) that had: size 3, contrast 17 and pattern of dots.
- Dropped the opacity of this layer to 60% and then placed it in front of the glowing edges layer. (Note: this was my original layer, which can’t be moved. So, I had to copy this half-tone ? layer and place THAT in front of the glowing edges layer.)
So now I have two layers blending into one. I still wanted a little more punch though. I took the bottom layer (the glowing edge filter) and decrease the saturation by 60 and the hue by 16. Then I raise the contrast by 66 and the brightness by 6. With all of that I was happy, or just tired of playing. Either way, the end result is above.
What would you have done differently? Feel free to make suggestions and comments. My feelings are not hurt by opinions. Rather I like here all the different perspectives on things. I find that it is the best way to learn and see how others like, or don’t like, things I try.
If you are new to the forum, make sure you check out the AB Friday host’s blog, Visual Venturing. Stacy has a great blog with a variety of amazing pictures. And for the forum, she lists all the contributors photos and links to their sites. You can find the post for this week’s challenge by clicking here.